The United States of America has been a global leader in the field of education and boasts of a lion’s share of top ranked universities according to all major international rankings. Few countries offer as many high ranked universities and noble laureate academia, as USA does. As a matter of fact, nearly 50 of the top 200 universities in the world are based in USA.
Universities in USA are also credited for innumerable patents and ground-breaking innovations, offering a chance to study and compete with some of the finest minds in the respective fields.
Flexibility of applying to different fields of study and a wide variety of Research-Centric Science and Technology Courses are the distinguishing features because of which aspirants strive to get admission in USA.
• Outstanding Quality of Education
If more than a million students choose to study in the USA, it means the quality of education offered by US Universities is top notch.
The US universities have always been ranked in the top when it comes to quality and rightly so. The US universities offer the latest courses, use the latest teaching methods and techniques, and use the best equipment to teach their students.
Also, the classes are taught by the best professors with years of experience, and they include students in different activities as much as possible.
One more thing is the inclusion of general education courses in the curriculum at the undergraduate which prepares students to excel in life both personally and professionally.
• Affordable Cost of Attendance
USA has over 6000 institutions offering higher education, which simply means there are hundreds of options that will fit your budget.
I don’t mean all schools are affordable but there are some universities which are affordable one way or the other.
In some states, the cost of living is low and if you are to share your apartment with friends and maintain a low cost of living then you can manage to live for something around $300 to $400 per month.
Hence, the cost of attending a good university in the USA could go down to as low as below $10,000.00 -$15,000.00 per year even if you don’t receive a full scholarship or a very high amount of scholarship or other forms of financial support.
• Scholarship Opportunities
Scholarships are a major part of a student’s life which US universities understand this. There are numerous generous scholarships available in the US universities which could range from a few thousand dollars to full ride.
Almost every student in the US tend to get some sort of scholarships. Some scholarships cover a certain part or full of their tuition, some cover a certain part of their living expenses, some are based on merit, and some are based on need of the individual students.
Some students can also qualify of honors scholarships while some students qualify to pay only the in-state tuition. There are scholarships based on the major a student intends to study which is offered by the individual department.
Graduate students can also get assistantships (teaching or research). Moreover, international students can also apply for external scholarship which could again be of great help while pursuing a degree in USA.
• Job Opportunities
International students are legally allowed to work on campus. An international student can work for 20 hours a week on campus while the school in session and usually the university has plenty of places where an international student can work.
There are plenty of internship opportunities, mostly during the summer and a lot of international students take benefits of the internships. If you are doing an internship during the summer, you can work fulltime but if you are doing an internship when you are also going to college then you are allowed to work only for 20 hours a week just like any other on-campus jobs.
Students under STEM designated programs in some universities enjoy working under the Co-op program which is something that is a part of the curriculum and usually the universities support you in finding jobs for you.
Co-ops are basically paid internships which allow you to work in the area of your studies and the biggest benefit of this is you graduate with at least 1 year worth of work experience which comes handy in terms of you landing a job after graduation.
• Post-study Work Opportunities
Unlike other destinations like Canada or Australia, USA does not offer something called Post- Study Work Permit. However, a student can work under OPT (Optional Practical Training) and CPT (Curricular Practical Training).
If your field of study is a STEM-designated one, you can work for additional 2 years typically after your graduate. Please note that regardless of your major, you can work for 1 year under OPT.
Under both OPT &CPT, students are entitled to work full time which can strengthen their resumes while helping them make some money at the same time.
• Safe Place to live in
Campuses in USA are safe and have very few cases of casualty. International students and their parents could sleep well knowing the fact that every campus has campus security and student’s safety is not at all compromised in the US universities.
Overall, living in USA is very safe but like anywhere else in the world you will need to be mindful of your surroundings and what you do from your side to stay as safe as possible.
Crime is in every country specially if we are talking about big cities but if you remain thoughtful, you should be completely fine. Laws are strict in USA which definitely helps in keeping the crime rate low.
• Vibrant Life
College life in USA is an amazing experience because of the life you have as a student. You don’t just study but live your life to the fullest.
Thanks to the vibrant community in and around the campus! It doesn’t have to be a big city for having a vibrant life as an international student.
There is something happening every day on campus and around campus, no matter what the occasion is or even if there is no occasion, celebration is part of the student life in the United States.
• Welcoming Nature
USA is called the land of immigrants as majority of the residents’ ancestors in USA have migrated from some other countries. The US welcomes approximately a million international students every year and this itself is the evidence that US is a welcoming country for international students.
Moreover, Americans are very warm and welcoming in nature and there are plenty of host families who help international students feel comfortable when they land in the US.
They keep the students at their homes and make them a part of their own family and may invite them home on many occasions.
Also, the staff on campus do everything possible to help students and learn about their culture and because of which almost all universities have cultural nights where students are encouraged to make their traditional dish from their home countries and share about their cultures.
• Recognition of the Degree
A degree from the US universities is highly valued all across the world. With a US degree you can move to any country in the world and will not have to worry about if the degree is going to be recognized or not.
With the number of universities and colleges in USA, you will always find an option that fits you well. As they highly believe in offering the highest accredited degrees possible, your qualification will be recognized globally.
Most of the companies in the world prefer US graduates as they believe that the US education instills in them all the skills they need.
• Travel while you Study
USA is a truly beautiful country and there are tons of places you can travel. No matter what you are interested in while traveling, you will find something for yourself.
May it be skyscrapers, natural beauty of national parks, mountains, culture, or anything you can think of. With 50 states in USA known for something different, you will enjoy traveling in the US.
Places like Times Square, Grand Canyons, Niagara Falls, Yellow Stone National Park, and many more just to name a few are the attraction for millions of tourists.
• The USA is the home of leading universities and colleges in the world. Nearly 50 of the top 200 universities in the world are located in the USA.
• The USA offers a range of highly sophisticated and enlightening educational environment in the universities.
• The universities in the USA also provide wide spectrum facilities to international students such as tuition fees waiver, accommodation options, scholarships, etc.
• Universities in the USA are also credited for innumerable patents and ground-breaking innovations, offering a chance to study and compete with some of the finest minds in the respective fields.
• One of the most distinguishing features of universities in the USA is the flexibility of applying to a variety of courses related to research-centric science and technology.
• The USA offers numerous ways to provide financial assistance to international students. Some of them are full or partial tuition fee waivers, research assistantship, teaching assistantship, graduate assistantship, paid internships, and part-time work opportunities.
• Students can apply for the Optional Practical Training (OPT) after graduation that allows them to work in their chosen field for 12-36 months after completion of course.
• The median salary range after a four-year degree in the US is $ 61,000 reaching $ 1,20,700 at mid-career level.
• An accreditation process is followed by universities and colleges in the USA. This is to ensure that educational institutions meet the required standard of quality and integrity related to academics and administration services.
• There are some community colleges that provide two-year associate degree programs assistance to help international students to prepare for an undergraduate degree or obtain occupational skill or for immediate employment.
• The usual academic calendar of the universities in the USA is from September to May. This is divided into two academic terms of 16 to 18 weeks, this is termed as semesters. Whereas, there are certain schools that run on a quarter or trimester system, wherein the semesters are for 10 to 12 weeks.
If you have decided that ‘I want to study in the USA!’, understanding the country's education system is the first step towards this goal. In the US, the setup is divided into four levels:
2. Middle School
3. High School
4. Higher Education
The last level, or Higher Education, is further categorized into:
● Associate Degrees
● Bachelor’s Degrees
● Master’s Degree (Professional/Academic)
● Doctoral Degrees
Among these, the Associate degrees, equal to the first 2-years Bachelor, for study in the USA are generally job-oriented. This means the candidates must apply for jobs right after completing their course.
While the Bachelor’s Degree is considered an academic route and lasts 3-4 years, depending on the course selected, it is the first step towards applying for a Master's Degree.
Furthermore, the Master’s is divided into Professional and Academic degree options. The former lasts 1-3 years and can be completed in 2 years. Lastly, the Doctoral Degree requires students to perform research-based studies under faculty supervision for 5-8 years.
Now, before we start with other vital subjects. It is time to check out the top course choices for study in the United States. International students prefer undertaking the following courses:
● Business Management
● Social Sciences
● Physical & Life Sciences
● Maths & Computer Sciences
Apart from the Tuition Fees for study in the USA for international students, they also have to plan out their expense budget for the course duration. On average, a student needs a monthly allowance of 800 USD when living in a small town.
However, this increases to 1,500 USD monthly if the student lives in a big city. Furthermore, the student’s accommodation choice and lifestyle determine the total. Perform a thorough search of local expenditure requirements before forming a budget.
● Worldwide recognition of U.S. degrees
● Employers support U.S. degrees
● A wide range of educational programs
● U.S. universities spend $20,000 per year on each student compared to $7,225 in Britain, $11,572 in Australia, $12,217 in Canada
● Outstanding facilities, libraries, and laboratories
● Diverse student body
● Opportunity to spend an additional year in the U.S. getting valuable, relevant work experience
● Acquire an I-20 from the Institution in which you have been accepted.
● Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee and acquire the receipt
● Important Documents
● Certificates received from previously attended institutions
● Proof of enough funds to support yourself for at least a year in the US
● Course Description
● A Valid Passport
● Health and Character Certificates
● Basis English Proficiency checked through tests like IELTS and TOEFL